Friday, January 25, 2013

Get in my belly.....and make me skinny!

Its like day 5 of the diet, wooo I'm not dead yet! :)  Luckily thanks to planning and pinterest we have eaten some pretty delicious food this week that was low carb and low fat! I wanted to share a couple of the things I have been making and some tips for those days where things didn't exactly go to plan! :)

One of my favorite lunches we had this week was a pinterest idea, Salad in a Jar.  Apparently the salad will stay fresh for a week if you put it in a jar, ours only sat overnight, but its good to know that I can make salads for a week and save myself the prep time every night.  Its a great idea because its all in the jar.  On the bottom you put the dressing, then the hearty veggies like carrots and cucumbers, then the other stuff like avocado and tomatoes, then the lettuce, and close 'er up!  I prepped it all the night before when I had time threw some carrots, cucumbers, tomatoes, onions, and spinach in and come lunch time the next day I gave it a shake, put it on a plate, and was ready! Spinach is so good for you with tons of vitamins and nutrients, try to avoid lettuces like iceberg or even romaine as there is very little if any nutritional value in these lettuces.  Plus they're harder to digest and no one wants a tummy ache!  

Not only was it really delicious, but it was also really pretty! :)
















Next dish was something I whipped up quickly for dinner one night.  This was one of those nights where things didn't exactly go to plan and I didn't have the time to cook what I was originally planning on.  For most people when you hit this snag you say oh well lets just eat out and we will get back on the diet tomorrow.  That means you had a lack of planning, luckily I planned and had some quick things on hand! I made a delicious turkey burger (note pay attention to the cook time, I didn't realize it said 9 mins on each side so i bit into a nice raw turkey burger, eww)  I put the patty on some butter lettuce and topped it with cheese, avocado, tomatoes and a little ketchup.  I also have the veggie steamers on hand and popped some broccoli and cheese into the microwave and was ready to go.  It was a delicious, low carb, and relatively quick meal. Be prepared for crazy days, they will happen and they are the biggest detriment to dieters everywhere!
It was still raw in this pic, I was still blissfully unaware of the rawness I would soon bite into! FAIL

I saved the best for last of course! Now we obviously ate more than three meals this week, however, I forgot to take pictures.  The fact that I forgot to take pictures has given me a feeling only other food bloggers can feel, feelings of sadness and despair at your beautiful creation going to straight into your starving mouth instead of being photoed for your blog.  So there was more food, but I was starving and have little self control when food is involved.  Having said all of that this was Grant's favorite lunch this week and he complimented me several times on how good it was! *pats self on back* It was super simple and not fancy at all but we aim to please.  I made tuna lettuce wraps! Whoaaa earth shattering! The main change was that I added about 2/3 of an avocado to the tuna.  This was nice because I didn't have to use so much mayo, which I still used because I love Miracle Whip. :)  I did use light Miracle Whip and only about 2 T in 3 cans of tuna.  I added a splash of mustard, some chopped onion, diced boiled egg, sweet relish (sweetened with splenda), stir it up and put it in some Boston or Butter lettuce and we are good to go!  They were nice because the tuna had a great flavor and a creaminess that only avocado can bring.  Using butter or Boston lettuce (they're the same thing ppl just call it by different names) is great because its strong enough to not tear, it has a great flavor, it has a little bit of crunch, but it also soft.  Its perfect and by far my favorite lettuce!  This was great because Grant was able to eat it while he was driving and I ate while working, mess free is the way to be!















In case you hadn't figured this out yet, I am a terrible photographer and I have the world's worst phone too so it doesn't help me there!  

So that's the highlights of food thus far!  We have a snow storm coming in and I cannot wait to get in my kitchen and work on some low carb desserts I have been looking into!  I also cant wait to start getting more and more creative and out of my comfort zone, week two should be fun! :)

1 comment:

  1. This is awesome!! I'm also on a low-carb diet, they're great! Still kinda hard to stick with, but they are really good for your health. I thought you took very nice pix!! :D I love the creativity!

    ReplyDelete